Infused waters are all the rage right now; and there is a good reason for that! Your body is composed of roughly 60-65% water which is well past half of you’re your total body mark. And if you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated. If you are dehydrated you are negatively affecting the performance of the majority of organ systems in your body! To put it into some serious words, every single system in your body depends on water to function well.
Having said that lets look at some of the benefits of drinking water:
– Cancer prevention. Yup. Various research says staying hydrated can reduce the risk of colon cancer, bladder cancer and possibly reduce breast cancer risk as well.
– Be less cranky. Dehydration can affect your mood and make you grumpy! Think clear, keep harmony, and be happy by drinking more water!
– Lose weight. This is a biggie! Thirst can sometimes be interpreted by the body as hunger. Staying hydrated can help with appetite suppression and weight loss.
– Make your skin glow. And who doesn’t want to glow?! Your skin is the biggest organ in our body. Regular intake of water can help improve the color, and texture of your skin and help it build new cells properly.
– Get nutrients where they belong. Water is essential for the proper circulation of nutrients in the body. It serves as the body’s transport system and when you are dehydrated, nutrients can’t get around as well.
So why can’t you just drink a glass of water? You CAN! Drink up! The problem I have found with water is that lots of people don’t like to drink it! In my years of coaching folks on better nutrition, most are very agreeable on things to eat, (well, veggies are a struggle too sometimes. . . .). But when I ask a patient to drink 64-80 oz of water a day some people look at me like I’ve lost my mind. The phrase “I hate water – it’s so boring,” has been spoken to me to many times to count.
Good news! Enter infused water and you will love drinking water! Not only for the benefits listed above, but when you put fruits, veggies and spices in your water it tastes good, creates variety (and there are lots of combinations), and you can reap some of the benefits of the things you’re putting in it.
Here are some great combinations – and benefits – of drinking infused water:
Lemon and Mint – This sweet and sour combination creates a delicious flavor while also providing lots of Vitamin C. Lemon juice also helps alkalize the body’s pH.
Apple and Cinnamon – super delicious and can help boost metabolism.
Mango and Ginger – can also help boost metabolism, decrease inflammation, reduce morning or motion sickness and help with the fire of heartburn.
Peaches and Mint – this is a great recipe that helps cool the body and is great for our sweltering summer temperatures.
Cucumber and Lemon – this is the ultimate detox drink! It has great taste and the cucumber and lemon help to flush your system to help you feel better. This is the number one recipe folks use for weight loss!
So drink your water! Spice it up a bit! Get creative! Have fun! It’s easy! Fill a pitcher with water (or a water bottle or a glass – ), add desired ingredients, wait 30 minutes, pour it over ice and drink-up! Aaaah!