As we step into the spring season, staying committed to a healthy eating plan is as important as ever. This week we are featuring a dish made for all pasta lovers.
To learn more about how to prepare our monthly Healthy Kitchen, Healthy You dishes, tips for home cooking, and ingredient benefits, join us live in Brilliant Health for our Cooking Show the first Thursday of each month.
- Cauliflower head, large, grated, equivalent of 2 full heads
- 2 to 4 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed, finely chopped
- 6 anchovy, whole, good quality, or finely chopped (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups of walnuts, almonds, or pistachios, very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of vermouth or dry white wine
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs or Gluten-Free sub
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp of black pepper, coarsely ground
- Crushed red chili
- 1/2 bunch of basil stems
- 1 1/2 lbs of cooked vegetable noodles or whole grain penne
- 1/4 bunch of torn basil leaves
- 2 oz. of freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Heat a large pan over medium heat. Once warm, add the grated cauliflower stirring frequently until well caramelized and a deep brown about 15-20 minutes. Add olive oil as needed to prevent burning, BUT do not overdo it or the cauliflower will become soggy.
Add the garlic, anchovy, and walnuts (or other nuts of choice) and continue to sauté until aromatic, about another 5 minutes.
Deglaze the nicely browned vegetables with Vermouth or dry white wine. Cook over high heat until all the wine has been absorbed.
Add the tomato sauce, breadcrumbs, salt, black pepper, optional red chili, and basil stems.
Simmer for 30 minutes or until you have a delicious flavor. Remove basil stems, adjust seasoning.
For Serving: Serve Cauliflower Bolognese over freshly cooked whole grain penne or vegetable “noodles” and garnish with basil leaves and grated parmesan.
Cook the recipe with us!
Gather the ingredients and cook along with LifeScape Functional Dietician, Dana Bosselmann, as she creates this healthy & dish [watch here]