This perfectly healthy pasta-alternative is a great week night meal for two!
Zucchini Noodles with Pesto & Organic Tempeh
Makes 2 servings
- 2 cups zucchini, spiral cut or julienned into noodles
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ghee or unrefined coconut oil
- 1 medium to large sweet onion, diced
- 8 ounces organic tempeh, diced
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free pesto (ingredients & directions below)
Dairy-Free Pesto Ingredients:
Makes 1 cup (approximately 8 servings; 1 serving = 2 tablespoons)
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- 1½ cup packed basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoons sea salt
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
To create our dairy-free pesto prior to the dish, follow these steps:
- Lightly toast the pine nuts in a skillet over low heat for 5 minutes.
Shake the pan from time to time to make sure the pine nuts don’t burn.
- Place all of the remaining ingredients except the oil in a small food
processor. Pulse a few times to chop the contents.
- With blender or food processor on low speed, slowly drizzle in the
olive oil until a paste has formed. Continue blending for 15 seconds
until the sauce has a smooth and creamy texture
Tips: If not using right away, pour into ice cube trays, cover with a thin
layer of olive oil, and freeze. Once frozen, remove from trays and keep in
glass containers in the freezer for later use.
Once those steps are complete, create the main dish following these directions:
- Place the zucchini in a strainer over a larger bowl or in the sink.
Sprinkle with sea salt and toss to coat. Allow the zucchini to sit for
15-20 minutes to allow excess liquid to drain.
- Wrap zucchini in a few paper towels and squeeze gently to remove any
remaining moisture. Wrap again in fresh paper towels and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt ghee or coconut oil. Add onion and sauté over medium
heat until translucent. Add tempeh and sauté for 3–5 more minutes.
- Add the zucchini noodles to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring
occasionally, until the zucchini noodles are tender.
- Add pesto to the skillet. Toss to coat noodles and serve immediately
Tips: If you don’t own a spiralizer, you can find zucchini already prepared as “zoodles” in some grocery
stores. Alternatively, zucchini can be sliced or julienne cut. If using ghee, select a brand made with
organic butter from grass-fed cows.