- Water 2 cups
- Salt 1⁄2 tsp., plus more to taste
- Cilantro, fresh, minced 1⁄2 cup
- Mint, fresh, chopped 1⁄2 cup
- Green onions, whites, thinly sliced 1 cup (about 2 bunches)
- Green onions, greens, chopped 1⁄4 cup
- Black beans, cooked, or canned, 15 1⁄2 oz. drained and rinsed
- Chickpeas, cooked, or canned, 15 1⁄2 oz. drained and rinsed
- Red or yellow bell pepper, chopped 1 ea. into 1⁄2” squares
- Cherry tomatoes, quartered 3 cups
- Persian cucumber, chopped into 1⁄2” squares 1 ea.
- Nuts, toasted and roughly broken 1⁄2 cup
- Lemon juice 1⁄4 cup, plus additional as needed
- Cumin seeds, lightly toasted, ground 1⁄2 tsp., plus additional as needed
- Garam masala 1⁄4 tsp.
- Extra-virgin olive oil 6 Tbsp.
- Heat a medium-size heavy saucepan over medium-high heat and add freekeh. Toast in the dry pan, shaking or
stirring, until freekeh becomes fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, 20-25 minutes or until water has been absorbed.
- Turn off heat and uncover. Place a clean dish towel or paper towel over the pot and return lid. Let sit at least
10 minutes. Uncover an allow freekeh to cool another 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine freekeh, with all other ingredients. Taste and add more lemon juice if desired.
- Serve right away or let sit for up to 1 hour before serving.